A little bit about process regarding Dane County Board work... About one week after taking the oath of office we received our committee assignments; I mentioned last week that I'll be serving on Health and Human Needs Committee. Agenda, minutes, and meeting times can be found on the county website, linked above. We had our first meeting last week. The Department of Human Services provides a tremendous amount of service to Dane County residents. I will share here what I learn and encourage you to contact me to add to my learning. At the highest level overview here is the Dane County Budget in Brief. What is reinforced time after time is how incredible the County staff is, Director, Lynn Green, provided us with a careful overview and explanation of processes.
On Friday, May 4 we submitted requests for commissions, boards, and committees that the County Executive, Joe Parisi, assigns. Chapter 15 assignments are made by the County Executive and then they go to the Board for approval. Appointments are made based on availability, need, and preference.
Another exciting event occured on Friday, May 4, Univercity Year Dane County partnership celebrated with lightening presentations of student work and posters displaying projects that resulted from the partnership. Paul Robbins, Director of the Nelson Institute described the year-long partnership, as "the beginning of a conversation."
Local government announcements...
- Dane County Housing Initiative (DCHI), Housing News, May 2018
- [Video] Minding the Gap: The Housing Crisis in Dane County, DCHI
- Dane County Will Offer Free Compost on May 12, County Executive
- Dane County Announces Local Art Market Applications Available for Artists, Cultural Affairs, May 7
- Fight the Bite: Take Steps to Prevent West Nile Virus, City of Madison, May 4
In other news...
- Wildlife group warns to watch for turtles crossing the road during breeding season, Channel3000, May 6
- Volunteers hope to install 700 free smoke alarms in Dane County, Channel3000, May 6
- Dane County families celebrate Dia de los Niños, Channel3000, May 6
- Tourism spending climbs for eighth straight year in Wisconsin, LaCrosse Tribune, May 5
- Local group spreads awareness about using FoodShare program at farmers' markets, nbc15, May 4
- Dane County airport adds second flight to Philadelphia, WKOW.com, May 3
- Dogs could soon be banned from parts of Dane County conservancy, WKOW.com, May 3
- Dane County Sheriff's Department recognizes deputies, community members, Channel3000, May 3
- Legal Action of Wisconsin Offers Services To Those Facing Eviction In Dane County, WORT, May 2 *featuring Supervisor Wegleitner
- Local Youth Programs Awarded $30,500, Madison Commons, May 1
- Officials ask motorists to be cautious of bicycles, motorcycles while driving, Channel3000, April 30
This week provided a lot of opportunities to be out and about, here are a few. Where will you be this week — let me know so we can catch up!
Kudos to all of the people who have worked so hard on the Monona Riverfront project, Monona City Council, Mayor O'Conner, Monona staff, CDA committee, and community partners. Thanks for inviting me to participate, even as a newcomer!
On May 1, I took a sneak peek at all 85 Bucky Statues that were unveiled today around the Madison area. We have two Bucky's in District 24, one at Schluter Park and one at Winnequah Park. To find more Bucky statues, and information about the artists, visit the website. #BuckyOnParade
Bridge LakePoint Waunona (BLW) hosted a fundraiser, with donations going to fund the summer programming at BLW. It was a great community event, with live music, good food, and a visit from the fire department for the kids to tour the truck.
I caught up with several members of the County Board, and County staff at the Wisconsin Women In Government Gala on April 25, where we listened to Samantha Power talk about her time as a UN Ambassador, and challenge us to be what we didn't think we could be based on what this point in time in human existence calls for.